“There is no question that workplace wellness is worth it. The only question is whether you’re going to do it today or tomorrow. If you keep saying you’re going to do it tomorrow, you’ll never do it.” – Warren Buffet, Chairman, Berkshire Hathaway.
For many companies, Corporate wellness programs have been around for years. However, the more successful efforts are designed with a clear win — win for both the company and the employee. As stated in our previous post on “Wellness in the Workplace”, providing the tools that keep employees happy, healthy, and performing at optimal level, is key to a motivated and efficient work environment. Highly successful programs understand that wellness programs must encourage, praise and reward behavioral change and offer more than just gym memberships.
Through recent research, we have gathered examples of outstanding companies with proven wellness programs, and the top benefits stemming from their implementation.
- The campus is full of tools and services to aid employee wellness; slides instead of stairs, pingpong tables, designated nap pods and Lego stations. Employees can also swim, shower, do laundry, and even get
- Google’s version of HR is called PiLab, People & Innovation Lab. The purpose is to conduct research and development so it can prioritize investments to fund unique ways to improve employee health.
- Googlers-to-Googlers education program offers classes, taught by Google employees for other Google employees, that range from management and public speaking, to kickboxing and parenting.
- Cummins comprehensive program believes that improving the management of the following seven factors can positively change the quality of life of their employees: physical activity, sleep, nutrition, stress reduction, substance abuse, and water intake. Cummins offers “a continuum” of services to address each of these areas.
- The Cummins LiveWell Center is a modern approach to health and wellness that treats illnesses, and helps each employee and their families prevent and even reverse health conditions by adopting a healthier
- Their facility offers not only the traditional health care services, but also cooking classes, acupuncture and massage therapy to help support these healthy choices.
- Cummins’ trusted team of professionals makes it easy for each individual to stay strong and provides a patient portal that allows each individual to easily track their health care history, schedule appointments and sign up for classes.
- Walt Disney offers the “Healthy Pursuits” program. Through this program their cast members have access to nutrition, health and lifestyle coaches, healthy cooking lessons and more.
- Walt Disney builds loyalty by offering long-term retirement savings and investment
- They also provide tuition assistance, for eligible employees and cast members who successfully complete courses that are educational or technical in nature and relate directly to their job
- Children of eligible employees can apply for a scholarship from The Walt Disney company.
- Due to Steve Jobs’ love for meditation, the company allots each employee 30 minutes of meditation per day, while also providing classes on yoga and
- Apple provides education reimbursements for all classes taken by employees, as well as subsidized student loan
- In Apple’s Cupertino, California based headquarters they have implemented a new wellness center. A medical one stop shop that employs seven doctors, a large team of chiropractors, physical therapists and dietitians.
- Health is in their DNA. The company is a champion in the green, sustainable world, and thus strives to create an office community that mimics Each facility has
an organic garden that provides each employee with fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Earth Friendly Products sponsors REParties which allow staff members to swap clothes and household
- The company provides partial reimbursement when employees trade their car in for a more sustainable and environmentally friendly vehicle.
- If an employee wishes to trade their car in for a more sustainable and environmentally friendly vehicle, the company helps pay for
- Employees who move closer to the office receive $1,000 as an incentive to reduce carbon footprints.
Here are just some of the benefits to implementing a comprehensive wellness program:
- Healthier and more productive employees
- Lower levels of stress
- Higher employee retention rates
- Lower insurance premiums
- Higher self-esteem
- Increased energy
- A more positive attitude
- A greater eagerness to succeed and lead
- Greater team synergy and greater company synergy
The purpose of this article is to make note of these incredibly successful companies, the attention they put toward their most valuable assets such as their employees and the environment, and why it works.