Good posture is essential for overall health. While it contributes to a healthy spine by keeping your joints in alignment, research shows many more benefits including:
- Keeping your bones and joints in correct alignment
- Minimizing the risk of injury and preventing muscle strains / pain
- Lessening risk of degenerative arthritis and joint pain
- Allowing muscles to work more efficiently
- Opening up the airways and ensuring proper breathing
Improving and maintaining good posture is made possible by being conscious, consistent and deliberate with everyday form, focus and engagement. Here are some tips for creating healthy habits:
Did you know that there is both a right and a wrong way to stand? Standing properly means:
- Keep your weight distributed on both feet with your knees slightly bent and feet shoulder width apart.
- Stand up straight by pulling your shoulders back and tucking in your stomach.
- Think about lining up your earlobes with your shoulders, doing so means you’re avoiding slouching and pushing your head and neck forward.
- When you think tall you look tall and you actually create more space in your spine.
To sit smarter, you should:
- Keep your feet firmly planted on the floor or on a foot rest.
- Focus on keeping a small space between the back of your knees and the front of the seat.
- Keep knees at or below the same level of your hips.
- Sit up with your back straight and shoulders back.
- Align your ears, shoulders, and hips while seated.
- Your sitting posture is highly dependent on the ergonomic setup of the desk, computer and any equipment you work with. Check out Healthy Tips From Your Posture Coach – Setting Up Your Workstation to maximize your ability to protect your spine while you work.
Millions of people struggle with maintaining favorable posture. These difficulties stem from lack of physical activity linked to sitting in an office for several hours a day. There are numerous products and solutions meant to alleviate the stressors from the daytoday grind. The Muuv chair is the ultimate tool for your wellbeing, longevity and success. Muuv’s groundbreaking flexible bow and pad structure effectively combines principles from engineering with practices from anatomy and the study of human movement to help you sit smarter, work better and achieve more.
Remember to give your health a helping hand by maintaining proper posture and investing in tools that help maintain proper posture while you work. At Align1 Solutions, we believe that investment in your health is always a good idea.